Cheque returned by bank with 12 – drawer signature differs

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Cheque returned by bank with 12 – drawer signature differs

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I had deposited a cheque in the bank, but the bank returned the cheque with comment 12-drawer signature differs. What does it mean? The cheque is validly issued to me by my client.

This means that the cheque has not been cleared or honoured by the bank and it has been returned unpaid by the bank with the Code No. 12 of Drawer’s signature differs. Please read this article, where all these codes are explained: Complete list of reasons for which a cheque can be returned unpaid by a bank.

Code No. 12 – Drawer’s signature differs – implies that the signature of the drawer of the cheque (i.e., the person who has given you the cheque) does not match with his signature which is on the record of the bank. Due to difference in signatures, the bank did not pass the cheque in your favour.

So, you should contact the drawer of the cheque and ask him to give you another cheque with proper signatures. And, if you feel that the drawer has deliberately given a cheque with different signatures, then you should issue him a legal notice for cheque bounce.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Dishonor of cheque for which the liability is cleared by other payment mode
Cheque bounce case under 138 NI act - Interim Relief of 20%
The drawer has given stop payment and also is denying the signature on the check
What are the stages of trial of a case U/s 138 of NI Act?