Can govt deny promotion on missing ACRs which were not available earlier?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Service and Labour Laws Can govt deny promotion on missing ACRs which were not available earlier?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I am working in Maharashtra Government. At the time of my promotion to the next level my ACR for a period of six months and another period of 9 months were not available. On the basis of available ACRs of 5 years period, I was not given promotion. I made a request to Govt to review my ACRs since now I have come to know that my ACRs for the missing period are now available (they were not written earlier). The review meeting is not being held. Can I get my promotion by consideration of the missing ACRs if they contain favourable grading for promotion? Can these missing ACRs be considered now?

Yes, if a review promotion committee meeting is held, the missing ACRs can be considered for the purposes of your promotion if these ACRs belonged to the required relevant 5 years’ period which was to be considered for promotion. It is the duty of the concerned authorities to write the ACRs on time and make them available to the promotion committee. You are not responsible if any delay is caused in this regard by the authorities. Moreover, once these ACRs are available at the time of the review committee, such committee should consider these ACRs which were missing earlier, if they belong to the 5 years period which is required to be considered for the purposes of the promotion.

Recently, in the case of P. Sivanandi v. Rajeev Kumar, (2017) 4 SCC 579, the Supreme Court has held that the officer cannot be prejudiced merely because superior officers concerned delayed writing the ACRs by observing:

“…the fact that the ACR of Sivanandi was written and reviewed by his superior authorities after a considerable delay obviously cannot put him to any disadvantage. The writing and review of his ACR was beyond his control and we do not see any rational basis on which Sivanandi could be disadvantaged merely because his superior officers were lax in the discharge of their responsibilities.”

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Service and Labour Laws’ is closed to new Questions and replies.