Can a case under Section 498A IPC be withdrawn by complainant?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Can a case under Section 498A IPC be withdrawn by complainant?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

My wife had filed a case under Section 498A of IPC against me and 3 other family members. I have challenged that case in the high court on behalf of my family members and the high court has stayed it. It is going on like this for two years. My wife has also filed a divorce case, but after two years, she has failed in that divorce case.

After the failure of her divorce case, she know there is little chance of success in appeal. So, she wants to compromise with me on the condition that I agree for mutual consent divorce and she will withdraw the 498A case.

My question is – can she withdraw the 498A case because someone told me that it cannot be done.

It appears that by withdrawal of the case, you meant compounding or compromise in the case.

Since a case under Section 498A of IPC is generally registered with the police by way of FIR, and the police then files the charge sheet in the court after completing investigation, in such cases, the withdrawal of case may be done by the Public Prosecutor or the Assistant Public Prosecutor under Section 321 of the Cr.P.C. It is so because such a case is prosecuted by the State and not by the individual, even if the initial complaint was given by an individual.

Compounding of a case is done under Section 320 of Cr.P.C., wherein both parties arrive at a compromise, and the case can be compounded with or without the permission of the court, as per the provisions of Section 320 Cr.P.C.

However, the offence under Section 498-A IPC is NOT compoundable, either without or with the permission of the court.

But, if both parties have arrived at a compromise in a matrimonial dispute such as this, you can file an application under Section 482 Cr.P.C. before the high court for quashing of the criminal proceedings in the case under Section 498A IPC. The high court has inherent powers to quash such criminal proceedings in a matter of this nature on the basis of the compromise between the parties. For more details on this issue, please read: http://tilakmarg.com/forum/topic/can-stalking-offence-under-section-354-d-ipc-be-compounded-by-parties/.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.