Agreeing for mutual consent divorce and then withdrawing

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law Agreeing for mutual consent divorce and then withdrawing

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

dear sir 5th yrs running, i have my 3.1/2 yrs old son, there was dispute with my father in law and me, out off angry i left my husbands house 3times, now its been 1 & half yrs (over) he is sent a divorce notice but from the day one i left the house i am requesting & praying my mother in law to take back myself and my son which she delayed …. the marriage was purely arranged by elders & church priest. because my mother & father both expired…. with my fathers railways (Death) settlement amt marriage was done…now i am in critical, helpless situation seriously i want to go back & settle with my husband but his asking for mutual divorce only than he will accept us…. as per his knowledge why is he taking mutual divorce is,, i will not live the house nor i should not dispute with any of his family members. pls tell me can i agree for mutual divorce and go settle down in his house for timing & later can i withdraw the mutual divorce because i don’t want to break my marriage life.

If you are not willing for divorce and want to settle down with your husband, then you should not agree with mutual consent divorce under the belief that under this pretext you can go back to the husband’s house and then you may withdraw the consent for the mutual consent divorce.

Firstly, it is not sure whether you would be able to reside in your husband’s house merely because you agree for mutual consent divorce. Secondly, even if it is possible, then what is the guarantee that after you withdraw the consent for divorce at a later stage, your husband would still allow you to reside in his house?

The remedy for you would perhaps be to convince for residing together. If he does not agree, you can file a petition for restitution of conjugal rights. You can also apply for maintenance for yourself and your minor child. Also opposite his divorce petition if you are not agreeable for divorce, as you have mentioned.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Family Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.