Accused not accepting cheque bounce notice – what to do?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Accused not accepting cheque bounce notice – what to do?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

On the dishonour of cheque, I sent a notice to the person who had issued the cheque to me. However, he is not accepting the notice by perhaps paying to the postal employee. What can be done in such a situation?

Can I myself go and serve the notice instead of sending it by registered post? Or can I send someone else to serve the notice on him?

I have discussed this issue in detail in my following article which may be seen: Burden of proof of service of notice in cheque dishonour case, what if accused avoiding service?

As regards your second question, let me state that, yes, you or someone else on your behalf can personally go and serve the notice on the person who issued the cheque which has bounced, in addition to sending it by registered post.

Please keep in mind that Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act merely says that a notice has to be given to the drawer of the cheque; it does not lay down how the notice has to be given; in particular, it does not prohibit personally handing over the notice to the drawer of the cheque.

Of course, if you personally serve the notice on the drawer of the cheque, you should take his signature of having received it as acknowledgement (if possible, with his stamp) and/or other evidence should be collected to show proof of service on the drawer of the cheque.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Dishonor of cheque for which the liability is cleared by other payment mode
Cheque bounce case under 138 NI act - Interim Relief of 20%
The drawer has given stop payment and also is denying the signature on the check
What are the stages of trial of a case U/s 138 of NI Act?