Offence in other state, from where should I get anticipatory bail?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Offence in other state, from where should I get anticipatory bail?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I live in Bombay. An offence has been registered against me in Madhya Pradesh. I want to apply for anticipatory bail. Where can I get it – from Madhya Pradesh or from Bombay in Maharashtra?

Anticipatory bail is required to be taken from the court which has jurisdiction over the place where the offence took place. Since the offence is registered in Madhya Pradesh, you’ll have to approach the competent court in Madhya Pradesh and NOT in Mumbai where you live.

Anticipatory bail application can be filed either in the Sessions Court of the district where the offence took place or in the high court under which such district comes. So, file your anticipatory bail application preferably in the Sessions Court of the concerned district of Madhya Pradesh. If needed, you can later approach the Madhya Pradesh high court.

However, I may clarify that sometimes in some very urgent cases (when the police is about to arrest and there is imminent danger of arrest, leaving you with no time to approach courts of the other state), the high court at the place of your residence may also grant you anticipatory bail but that will be only for a temporary period of a few days and that is also to enable you to meanwhile approach the competent court of the state (where the offence took place) for getting a regular anticipatory bail. This is a sort of interim protection for a few days to enable you to approach the appropriate court in the state where the offence took place. But, this is only an exceptional step which is taken only in extreme and urgent cases. Normally, you have to approach the courts in the place where the offence took place and NOT where you reside.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Circumstances change in a bail order
BAIL AFTER UPHOLDING VERDICT OF TRIAL COURT BY HC
What documents can be procured from court for applying a bail?
Cancellation of Bail by Sessions Court when bail was granted by High Court