Forgery Report And Evidence

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Forgery Report And Evidence

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hello sir – In a forgery case, what evidence does police rely on? Police are telling me that my signatures and the documents will be sent to FSL Labs.
      My question is, is the report of FSL Labs final? Can that report go wrong or be fabricated? If I don’t agree with that report, what options do I have? Are there any SC/HC judgements saying that FSL reports can go wrong? Many thanks…

It is true that generally signatures and handwriting are sent for examination by the forensic science laboratory (FSL) if forgery is alleged. Their opinion is usually trustworthy though it is not final. Such evidence is generally considered for corroboration of other evidence. Normally, the courts rely on the evidence of the forensic science laboratory if it given with proper reasoning. However, it is possible for the accused to challenge such FSL report (in cross-examination) if it not based on proper scientific reasoning.

How will you otherwise prove forgery of signatures and handwriting if you do not want FSL examination? The best method would be scientific examination.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

What can be done and what cannot be in a cross-examination?
Can a mobile phone screenshot be accepted as legal evidence in a case in India?
THE INDIAN EVIDENCE ACT - 2st Question
No call details record of complainant in the FIR/ charge sheet