Defamation case for false 498A IPC case filed by wife

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Defamation case for false 498A IPC case filed by wife

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

My wife had filed false 498A IPC case against me. Now this case has been quashed after a lot of efforts made by me. Can I file a defamation case against her for making false charges against me and defaming me?

Generally speaking, it may be difficult for you to succeed in the defamation case under Section 500 IPC against your wife on the basis of the grounds that she filed a false case against you under Section 498-A IPC. It will depend on the facts of each case, but generally it is difficult to prove defamation case in such a situation.

Defamation is defined under Section 499 of the IPC.

As per the 8th Exception to Section 499 IPC, the allegation made by your wife in her 498-A IPC case before the competent authorities may perhaps be protected from being a defamation; so it may not amount to defamation in law. Only thing that may have to be seen is whether she made such accusation against you in good faith or with the mala fide intention of defaming you. In view of this, your chances of success in such a case are not very bright. This Exception is reproduced below (please also see the Illustration given below this Exception):

Eighth Exception.—Accusation preferred in good faith to authorised person.—It is not defamation to prefer in good faith an accusation against any person to any of those who have lawful authority over that person with respect to the subject-matter of accusation.

Illustration

If A in good faith accuses Z before a Magistrate; if A in good faith complains of the conduct of Z, a servant, to Z’s master; if A in good faith complains of the conduct of Z, a child, to Z’s father—A is within this exception.”

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Suicide, Abetment and Attempt to Suicide
what is equivalent of innocence till proven guilty mandate/dictum in india?
sign on blank 50rs stamp paper in 2013
No call details record of complainant in the FIR/ charge sheet