Including names of persons in charge who were not charge sheeted by police

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Including names of persons in charge who were not charge sheeted by police

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

Dear sir, i filled a complaint under section 498A IPC against my husband and in laws in writing to police in 2012. After around 1 week of filling the complaint i filed an FIR where only my husband was made guilty.
      I however had written a letter to commissioner of police to include others in FIR but the same was not done.
      The chargesheet was filed in court in 2013 and since then the dates are being postphone as my DV case is also going on in the same court.
      The 498A matter is now finally been bought up for hearing.
      Can I file an application in court with reference to the letter to CP for inclusding the others in FIR

Since the charge sheet has already been filed, it may not be possible to amend the FIR at this stage.

However, it is legally possible to include names of more accused persons at the trial stage, depending on the evidence available against those (new) accused persons. In this regard, Section 319 of the Criminal Procedure Code is reproduced as under:

319. Power to proceed against other persons appearing to be guilty of offence.—(1) Where, in the course of any inquiry into, or trial of, an offence, it appears from the evidence that any person not being the accused has committed any offence for which such person could be tried together with the accused, the Court may proceed against such person for the offence which he appears to have committed.

(2) Where such person is not attending the Court, he may be arrested or summoned, as the circumstances of the case may require, for the purpose aforesaid.

(3) Any person attending the Court, although not under arrest or upon a summons, may be detained by such Court for the purpose of the inquiry into, or trial of, the offence which he appears to have committed.

(4) Where the Court proceeds against any person under sub-section (1) then—

(a) the proceedings in respect of such person shall be commenced afresh, and the witnesses re-heard;

(b) subject to the provisions of clause (a), the case may proceed as if such person had been an accused person when the Court took cognizance of the offence upon which the inquiry or trial was commenced.”

So, you can use the provisions of Section 319 of the Cr.P.C., by showing relevant evidence to try and get the names of other accused persons included in the prosecution.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Improper investigation u/s 156(3) by police and judge dismissing the application
Who takes cognizance of a non-cognizable offence in a rural village or town?
How to compromise a case of assault on police (353) and non-obedience of order?
How can I obtain copies of Case Diary from police of investigation done in FIR?