Ask Legal Question (Free) Forums Criminal Law WRITTEN STATEMENT IN CRIMINAL CASE

Ask a New Legal Question (Free)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dr. Ashok Dhamija Dr. Ashok Dhamija 1 year, 2 months ago.

  • Author
  • #1186


    on behalf of the accused for his defence written statement/counter can be filed in PVT Complaints cases…? or not…? under cr.p.c and NI act…?
    what is the procedure….?

  • #1196

    If you are referring to a criminal trial, then under Section 314 of the Cr.P.C., on completion of evidence, written arguments may be submitted to the trial court. This section is reproduced below:

    314. Oral arguments and memorandum of arguments.—(1) Any party to a proceeding may, as soon as may be, after the close of his evidence, address concise oral arguments, and may, before he concludes the oral arguments, if any, submit a memorandum to the Court setting forth concisely and under distinct headings, the arguments in support of his case and every such memorandum shall form part of the record.
    (2) A copy of every such memorandum shall be simultaneously furnished to the opposite party.
    (3) No adjournment of the proceedings shall be granted for the purpose of filing the written arguments unless the Court, for reasons to be recorded in writing, considers it necessary to grant such adjournment.
    (4) The Court may, if it is of opinion that the oral arguments are not concise or relevant, regulate such arguments.”


    Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook Comments

[Note: These Facebook Comments are not monitored by Forum Editor. Hence, they may not be replied to. If you want to ask a free legal question, click here.]