Within how many days FIR will be lodged after receiving complaint by police?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Within how many days FIR will be lodged after receiving complaint by police?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I am working in Delhi and have to get one FIR registered in Nagpur. The police officers over there are not accepting my complaint by email with documents for registering FIR. They are asking me to come to Nagpur for registering FIR which is about a forgery cheating case. If I visit how many days would be taken by police to register FIR after I give them complaint? I cannot spend more than 3 days in Nagpur for this purpose due to my employment problems. Can the FIR be registered in 3 days by police?

Once a complaint disclosing commission of a cognizable offence is given to the police, it is required to register the FIR immediately on receipt of the complaint. This is the requirement of law under Section 154 of the Criminal Procedure Code.

It is a different thing that sometimes the police will deliberately delay the registration of the FIR or may sometimes even refuse to register the FIR. However, I may point out that recently a 5-judge Constitution bench of the Supreme Court in the case of Lalita Kumari v. Govt. of U.P., (2014) 2 SCC 1 : AIR 2014 SC 187 : 2014 Cri LJ 470, has held that it is mandatory for the police to register FIR on the basis of an information or complaint which discloses commission of a cognizable offence.

In any case, three days’ period is more than sufficient to register the FIR. In fact, it should be registered on the same day when the complaint is given, as I pointed out above. If the police is up to some mischief or deliberately tries to avoid registration of the FIR, then it is a different thing because then you may have to approach the court, etc. But, the intention of the law is very clear to register the FIR immediately on receipt of complaint disclosing commission of cognizable offence.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Improper investigation u/s 156(3) by police and judge dismissing the application
Who takes cognizance of a non-cognizable offence in a rural village or town?
How to compromise a case of assault on police (353) and non-obedience of order?
How can I obtain copies of Case Diary from police of investigation done in FIR?