Stop payment of cheque and cheque bounce case

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Stop payment of cheque and cheque bounce case

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I had contacted a lawyer for filing a case in high court. He demanded an advance payment of Rs. 5000 just for reading the papers and telling me whether he will take my case. He said that he will not read any paper or discuss anything without payment of this money in advance. I gave him the cheque. But within one hour I requested him to return the cheque because my wife told me this was unreasonable to charge money just for telling whether he will take case. However, the lawyer refused to return cheque. I have now given stop payment letter to bank. If the cheque bounces due to this letter will there be legal trouble for me since the person is lawyer? Will it be cheque bounce case?

Under the provisions of Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act, one of the essential requirements for a cheque bounce case is that the cheque should have been issued for payment of money for the discharge, in whole or in part, of any debt or other liability. Moreover, the Explanation to Section 138 clarifies that “debt or other liability” means a legally enforceable debt or other liability.

In your situation, from the limited facts that you have mentioned, it appears that the cheque was given as an advance for the services to be rendered by your advocate. The services were yet to be rendered by the advocate. Therefore, in such situation, I think this cheque bounce may not be an offence under Section 138 of the Act. However, please remember that nobody can prevent the opposite party from filing the case in the court and taking a chance; and, moreover, there is a legal presumption under Section 139 of the Negotiable Instruments Act that it shall be presumed that the cheque was given for the discharge, in whole or in part, of any debt or other liability, unless the contrary is proved. Therefore, if such case is filed against you, then you’ll have to prove that it was given only as an advance and not for any actual services rendered and that therefore it was not for the discharge, in whole or in part, of any debt or other liability.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Dishonor of cheque for which the liability is cleared by other payment mode
Cheque bounce case under 138 NI act - Interim Relief of 20%
The drawer has given stop payment and also is denying the signature on the check
What are the stages of trial of a case U/s 138 of NI Act?