RTI FROM POLICE AUTHORITY ON FILLED COMPLAINT

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law RTI FROM POLICE AUTHORITY ON FILLED COMPLAINT

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hello sir, I have submitted a complaint with evidences to the Gategaon Police Station, Latur, Maharashtra. Police didn’t register the FIR and reluctant to do so. I have escalated the matter to SP Level,GRIEVANCES REDRESSAL PORTAL AND PMOPG PORTAL also, yet FIR not registered.

Under RTI, Is it possible to get the details of action taken by the Police Authority on the complaint and evidences submitted by me.

You can file the RTI application, since what you want to know is what action has been taken on your complaint and not any information which is exempted from being supplied under Section 8 [clauses (g) and (h) thereof] of the Right to Information Act.

Please also note that, instead of waiting for RTI reply for a long period of a month or so, you can directly ascertain from police as to whether FIR has been filed or not and whether they are likely to register it or not. Further, nowadays, all the FIRs are required to be uploaded on the police website. So, check the website of the your state police and district and locate your police station and try to locate FIR, if any, registered on your complaint.

General experience has been that police avoid to register FIRs on most complaints.

If the police has not registered the FIR, then, generally speaking, they would not have done anything else on your complaint. You have said that you have already approached the SP office also, but without any result. So, in such a situation, if you know that FIR is not filed by police, then you should approach the Magistrate court under Section 156(3) of the Criminal Procedure Code for directing the police to investigate the case or under Section 190 of the Cr.P.C. for filing your private complaint directly in court.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Improper investigation u/s 156(3) by police and judge dismissing the application
Who takes cognizance of a non-cognizable offence in a rural village or town?
How to compromise a case of assault on police (353) and non-obedience of order?
How can I obtain copies of Case Diary from police of investigation done in FIR?