Limitation for recovery of loan given

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Civil Law Limitation for recovery of loan given

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I had given a loan to a business who was in need of money in the year 2012. The loan amount was Rs. 15 lakh. He used to pay interest on the loan till March 2015. After that, he did not pay any interest. When I requested him again and again, he agreed to repay my loan by installments but refused to pay interest. He paid one installment of Rs. 1 lakh in June 2015. But, thereafter he did not pay any installment or any interest.

I want to file case against him. But, one advocate told me that since the loan was given in 2012, the limitation of 3 years has expired. Another advocate says that I can file the case for recovery since he paid installment in 2015. Please advise me what to do, since if I file the case now, I’ll have to spend further money on court stamp and lawyer fee etc.

The normal limitation period for filing suit for recovery of a debt / loan is 3 years. However, in your case, as late as in June 2015, the other party has made a part-payment of (Rs. 1 lakh) the loan. Therefore, in accordance with Section 19 of the Limitation Act, 1963, a fresh limitation period starts running from the time when such part payment was made. Therefore, the limitation for filing suit for recovery of this loan would now be up to June 2018.

Section 19 of the Limitation Act is reproduced below:

19. Effect of payment on account of debt or of interest on legacy.—Where payment on account of a debt or of interest on a legacy is made before the expiration of the prescribed period by the person liable to pay the debt or legacy or by his agent duly authorised in this behalf, a fresh period of limitation shall be computed from the time when the payment was made:

Provided that, save in the case of payment of interest made before the 1st day of January, 1928, an acknowledgment of the payment appears in the handwriting of, or in a writing signed by, the person making the payment.

Explanation.—For the purposes of this section,—

(a) where mortgaged land is in the possession of the mortgagee, the receipt of the rent or produce of such land shall be deemed to be a payment.

(b) “debt” does not include money payable under a decree or order of a court.”

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Civil Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.