Is marriage possible before legal marriageable age?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law Is marriage possible before legal marriageable age?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I am in love with a girl since last 2 years. Both of us are 20 years of age. Our parents are not in favour of our marriage which is inter-caste. Girl’s parents want to get her married immediately with some other boy of same caste. This is our fear. Can we get immediately married to avoid this other marriage? Someone told me that this marriage is not possible as I am of not of legal marriageable age.

One of the mandatory conditions for a valid marriage under the provisions of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, is that the bridegroom has completed the age of twenty-one years and the bride the age of eighteen years at the time of the marriage.

Further, where the bridegroom has not completed the age of 21 years or the bride has not completed the age of 18 years, their marriage would come within the meaning of a “child marriage” which is prohibited under the provisions of the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006.

So, whether you like or not, it is not possible for both of you to lawfully get married at this stage since you (being the boy) are only 20 years of age, which is less than 21 years – the minimum marriageable age for the boy.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Family Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.