Gave information to police on 100 about some incident, now police calling me

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Gave information to police on 100 about some incident, now police calling me

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I had recently called phone number 100 and informed the Police about a few individuals beating up some man late at 12 in the night. The next day an SI from the Police Station calls me up and tells me to come to the police station for some enquiry. I however avoid going to the police station and i reply that i was just a passerby and i informed in good faith and have no information at all except for the information that i had already provided on 100 number. Can the police take any action against me?

You have done a good job by giving information to the police control room at 100 phone number about the fight taking place on the road. Nowadays, many people avoid getting involved in such matters and avoid giving information to police about such incidents. So, you must be appreciated for the good job done by you.

But, having done a good job of informing the police, now you should not be scared of giving a statement to police about whatever you saw. You should not be scared of going to police station, since you would be going there to give your statement as a witness and not as an accused person. At the same time, if you request the police, they may visit your place for recording your statement. During your statement, you may state whatever has been observed by you when the fight was going on. If you can identify the accused persons, you may do so.

In this regard, please note that under Section 160 of the Criminal Procedure Code, police officer investigating a cognizable offence has the power to require the attendance of a witness before him for the purpose of his examination:

160. Police officer’s power to require attendance of witnesses.— (1) Any police officer making an investigation under this Chapter may, by order in writing, require the attendance before himself of any person being within the limits of his own or any adjoining station who, from the information given or otherwise, appears to be acquainted with the facts and circumstances of the case; and such person shall attend as so required:

Provided that no male person under the age of fifteen years or above the age of sixty-five years or a woman or a mentally or physically disabled person shall be required to attend at any place other than the place in which such male person or woman resides.

(2) The State Government may, by rules made in this behalf, provide for the payment by the police officer of the reasonable expenses of every person, attending under sub-section (1) at any place other than his residence.”

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Improper investigation u/s 156(3) by police and judge dismissing the application
Who takes cognizance of a non-cognizable offence in a rural village or town?
How to compromise a case of assault on police (353) and non-obedience of order?
How can I obtain copies of Case Diary from police of investigation done in FIR?