False evidence by witness in defamation case – what action can be taken

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law False evidence by witness in defamation case – what action can be taken

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dr. Ashok Dhamija Dr. Ashok Dhamija 7 months ago.

  • Author
  • #3795


    I was made accused in a false defamation case wherein the witness had given false evidence in it. What action can i take against the witness? How to prove that he has given false evidence?

  • #3803

    Giving false evidence in a judicial proceeding may be punishable under Section 193 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) or relevant other section(s) depending on gravity of the offence.

    You may file an application before the court (where such false evidence was given) to take action in terms of Section 340 Criminal Procedure Code.

    Proof of false evidence would depend on the detailed facts of the case. Please contact some local lawyer by sharing the full details of the case with him.


    Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook Comments

[Note: These Facebook Comments are not monitored by Forum Editor. Hence, they may not be replied to. If you want to ask a free legal question, click here.]