Do we have to give the entire judgement of the case we are relying upon in court

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Civil Law Do we have to give the entire judgement of the case we are relying upon in court

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Respected Sir,

I am filing a civil suit, however i am in doubt if i have to present the entire judgement of the case in court on which i am relying upon if the judges asks for it even if the judgement spans 700 pages. Please guide

Thanking You

This is a matter of practice. There is no hard and fast rule, though usually it is expected that if you are relying upon a judgment, you should supply the full judgment. But, the court may allow you to provide the relevant portions only. Another option is to give the bound book (from the library, may be) containing the judgment for judge’s perusal, which can then be returned after the judge has seen it. In fact, the practice generally in the Supreme Court is not to supply copies of judgments but to give citations, and the court staff takes out the bound books (containing relevant judgments) from the court room and shows the same to the judge. So, it is only a matter of practice prevalent in a court and the convenience of those involved. No specific answer can be given to such question.

Most of your doubts that you are asking here on the forum can perhaps be easily resolved if you visit the court concerned and ask there.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Civil Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.