Can appeal be filed in Supreme Court through Power of Attorney?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Civil Law Can appeal be filed in Supreme Court through Power of Attorney?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I want to file an appeal against the order of a high court in the Supreme Court. But since I am out of India for next few months, can I file this appeal through power of attorney? I want to ask my father to file the case in SC on my behalf as my power of attorney. Please reply urgently.

Yes, it is possible to file a case in the Supreme Court through the power of attorney. You may have to file Special Leave Petition (SLP) against the decision of the high court. You will be advisable to execute a power of attorney in favour of the person concerned, specifically empowering / authorizing him to file a special leave petition in the Supreme Court in the specified matter on your behalf and giving all the related powers of signing vakalatnama, filing affidavit and signing other documents, etc.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Civil Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.