Blank cheque – whether offence under Section 138 made out?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Blank cheque – whether offence under Section 138 made out?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

A credit of sum 10lakhs is give to our neighbour just on trust fact.
      Later we took two blank signed cheques after we sensed change in them,
      but now they are refusing to pay amount.
      Kindly sir, let me know if section 138 will apply in this case.
      All we have is 2 signed blank cheques.kindly let me know options sir.
      Thank you for giving me this opportunity

Offence under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act is made out only after a cheque has bounced, i.e., when the cheque is presented in the bank and it is returned unpaid. Please read the article: Cheque bounce cases under Section 138 Negotiable Instruments Act Explained for details as to how this offence is defined and what are its ingredients.

In your case, it appears that you still have blank cheques signed by the person to whom you have lent money and have not presented them to the bank. In this situation, the above offence is not made out. Unless you present these cheques in the bank and unless these are returned unpaid by the bank and other ingredients mentioned in Section 138 (see above article) are satisfied, the offence of cheque bouncing is not complete.

If your opposite party has permitted you to present these cheque in the bank, then you may deposit them in the bank. If they are paid, then you get your amount. If they are returned unpaid, then you should follow the procedure mentioned in Section 138 (see above article) so as to take action against the other party under Section 138 of the above Act.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.