Wills – two or more

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law Wills – two or more

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

My brother in laws have prepared forged will in which father in law has mentioned his moveable properties only as his self acquired properties . He further states these moveable properties to be divided equally between two brothers . Instead of providing any residual clause it is mentioned that he has spent lot on daughter and he does not want to give her anything further .
      Now can this will be challenged on account of concealing all other immoveable properties . Or if in future they come up with another forged will for moveable properties , then how to proceed ?

Is there a way out to force brothers to declare properties owned by my father in law jointly or singly in his name .

On the basis of the limited facts known to me from your question, I do not think there may be a need to challenge the will on the ground that it conceals certain (or all) immovable properties. A will is valid or relevant only in respect of the properties which are mentioned therein. You have said that nothing is mentioned in residuary clause also. So, this would imply that whatever other properties are there which are not mentioned in the will are not governed by this will and that such other properties may be governed by the intestate succession (or may be by any other valid will etc., if subsequent, or by codicil, if any).

It appears that you are asking question in respect of your wife and the will in question was purportedly prepared by her father (you are claiming it to be forged). So, if certain properties are to be governed by the intestate succession, then your wife may be entitled to share in property. Even if such other properties are coparcenary properties and if her father died after 09.09.2005, then also she may be having equal right in such property even as a daughter.

Why don’t you show your documents in detail to some lawyer and obtain detailed professional opinion? An opinion given without seeing full documents can only be on general propositions of law.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Family Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Distribution of income gained from land property
Hindu succession act 1956 - if Hindu female dies without a will
Share of property of 9 cent between mother and two married daughters
partition of property - whether ancestral or self-acquired