Will a General Diary entry adversely affect police verification for Govt job?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Service and Labour Laws Will a General Diary entry adversely affect police verification for Govt job?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

A few years back, a neighbour had filed a complaint against me for a minor scuffle, on the basis of which police had made a General Diary entry. But no FIR was registered. Subsequently, nothing happened in this matter. Now I am selected for a Government job and I am told that a police verification would be done before I join the job. Will the above General Diary entry come in the way of my getting Government employment?

Facts mentioned by you show that no FIR was registered against you. You were not arrested. No charge sheet was filed against you.

A General Diary entry may relate to a mere incident or may be a non-cognizable offence, as per what you have mentioned (scuffle).

This should not come in the way of your getting a Government job.

However, if there is a specific column in the police verification form or attestation form about mentioning even such an incident, then you must transparently mention it there and should not hide it. It is not likely to come in the way of your getting into a Government service.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Service and Labour Laws’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Difference between the logo of Mumbai Police and Maharashtra Police
Police not filing charge sheet
Regarding right to privacy of accused during investigation, once FIR registered,
FIR or Magistrate - what is preferable when I have sufficient evidence