Why not suspended when in police custody for more than 48 hours?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Service and Labour Laws Why not suspended when in police custody for more than 48 hours?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

My husband has been continuously torturing me for last several years. At last, I filed 498A IPC complaint against him and he was arrested. He was in police custody for more than 48 hours (3 days actually). He is government servant but still he has not been suspended. I complained to his department but they have not suspended him. I am given to understand that he is also getting full salary. Is it permissible?

Please note that if a government servant remains in custody for more than 48 hours, then he is deemed to have been suspended automatically even if no formal order for his suspension has been issued. So, if your husband has spent more than 48 hours in custody, then even if a formal order of suspension has not yet been issued by the competent authority, he is deemed to have been suspended.

You may write to the department along with full facts and supporting documents to prove his custody for more than 48 hours. Also enclose the certified copy of the court order, if any, or the confirmation from police about his custody, if you have copy of that available with you.

Thereafter, you can file RTI application to the concerned authorities in the department of your husband to find out what action has been taken on your complaint / letter intimating them about custody of your husband for more than 48 hours.

As regards the fact of your husband getting fully salary, the fact remains that he will get a subsistence allowance instead of full salary once he is under suspension. From your question, it appears that the department may not be aware of his custody due to which the deemed suspension provision is yet to be applied to him. So, once he is considered to be under suspension (whether formally ordered, or deemed suspension), he will get subsistence allowance and not full salary.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Service and Labour Laws’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Revocation of suspension continuing for one year with no chargesheet
Suspension for 3 years without chargesheet and without extension of suspension
SUBSISTENCE ALLOWANCE NOT PAID - can departmental enquiry proceed?
How can suspended person get 75% subsistence allowance 2 years after suspension?