Whether police complaint of abusive language come in way of UPSC appointment

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Service and Labour Laws Whether police complaint of abusive language come in way of UPSC appointment

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Sir I am a UPSC applicant cleared prelims. In 2011, when I was 20 year old my landlord ask my family to vacate home which was rented but we sought some time. Denying this, landlord went to PS and complaint that I and my father verbally abused him. Police registered complaint (Although they did not said anything about it). Police came to our home and also asked us to visit PS. There they asked whether we verbally abused him. We denied it and police asked to vacate home in 30 days which we obeyed and vacate home in 7 days. Now, my question is whether this incident of my life will create problem during IAS appointment. Please help me and let me know whether I should mention this incident during appointment as no arrest, no court involved and no fine. Please help me sir as this will help me concentrate on studies. Thank you.

You have not made it clear whether any FIR was registered in the matter (followed by charge sheet or closure report) by police or merely a non-cognizable report / complaint was taken on record. From what you have written, it does not appear to be a serious offence and it appears that merely a complaint was made and it appears that no FIR was perhaps registered, which could come in the way of a future employment.

The general rule in such matters is that when you get employment and have to fill in details of any offences committed in the past, you should always write truthfully. If there is a column meant specifically for FIR registered against you, the FIR, if any, registered, should be mentioned. If, in the above incident, no FIR was registered then there may be no need to mention about the above complaint under the heading of FIR. If, however, there is a separate heading of any other types of criminal complaints lodged (such as, including non-cognizable offence), then you should truthfully mention the details of whatever complaints have been lodged. But, then you can also mention about the end-results of such complaint. For example, if no action was taken by police on such complaint / FIR, then you must clearly mentioned that fact and also that the complaint was closed.

It always pays to be truthful in reporting about such incidents in the application form at the time of getting employment. If you hide it, during police verification, the department may still come to know about it and then it may be considered as a case of wilful concealment of the material information, which may adversely affect the future employment. However, if you have truthfully reported about the criminal complaints against you, and if such complaints are of minor nature, then it may not harm the employment prospects. There are judgments of the courts in this direction as per which every minor criminal complaint against you may not come in the way of your future employment provided you have reported the same truthfully.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Sam Eer

Good morning sir, my query is somewhat related to this.

My question is if only non-cognizable offence is registered and compromised is reached in PS itself then will it come in Police record? what should be the answer to the below question in the verification form

—————–

Is there any cognizable or non-cognizable criminal case or proceeding has been registered against you and whether you have been fined by the police in any such case and whether is any (police investigation) pending against me. if so provide details

—————-

As I dont have any details of the non-cognizable offence like case number and all. Just I know the incident what happened. Do I should narrate the incident completely? Will this effect my appointment in UPSC? Please help me sir

Refer to the attetestation form available in the UPSC site. Hope, it will help..

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Service and Labour Laws’ is closed to new Questions and replies.