What is Pursis?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Dear Sir,

What are Pursis/Purshis and Praecipe? How can these be useful to litigants of Gender-biased laws (498a/DV etc.)? If possible, please explain with examples.

Thank you very much.
      Regards,
      Govind

Pursis or Purshis is a statement in writing or a written statement that is submitted to a court desiring that the information be included as a part of evidence. Pursis can mean a statement submitted to the court about any settlements between the parties. It can be submitted to the court by either party in a case or his advocate. It can also be submitted jointly by both parties. The purpose is to give the court information on facts or compromise or some other information relevant to the case.

For example, for 498-A / DV cases, a threat given by one party to the other can be submitted to the court in the form of pursis. A compromise by two parties may be submitted to the court in the form of pursis.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

K Sagar

sir,

whether court can say that the Pursis will not be kept with the case papers?

It depends on facts and circumstances of the case. May be, when it is unconnected with the case or irrelevant.      

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

K Sagar

sir,
      the Pursis was given in the same matter.
      And it is clarified in the Pursis that it was the arguments on the matter
      of the powers of JMFC U’S 125 of CRPC. but the H’ble judge did not allow to speak even a single word and threatened if a single word were spoken then he will put him behind bars.
      And, therefore, the advocate being sober by nature requested the Hon’ble judge to allow him to withdraw the Pursis. At that moment the judge said that he will not either return the Pursiss or will keep with the cases papers.
      2. Further the judge asked my lawyer whether he wants to go High Court in the matter the layer replied it was not so. The the Hon’ble judge passing certain remarks against H.C. AND S.C. that those courts can do ……and a indecent gesture made by him pointing out to his palvic part and about speak some thing bad but the banch clerk and some women litigants were present in the court he suddenly stopped to utter further.
      pl. give me your prudent and expert advice on the said two points. And pl. also advice
      what actions may be taken and under which laws.
      3. I would to state further that as a citizen of the country i am carrying great respect for our judiciary and ,therefore, in the interest of justice i think the said judge’s behaviour and approach was not be fitting with such dignified post of a judge and may be punished.
      with regards
      K.SAGAR

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.