What is a Chapter Case initiated by police?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law What is a Chapter Case initiated by police?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I am told that the police has initiated a Chapter Case against me. What is this Chapter Case? No FIR is registered against me.

A proceeding under Chapter 8 of the Criminal Procedure Code for obtaining security / bond for keeping peace or good behaviour from a person is generally referred to as a Chapter Case.

In this Chapter, Section 106 (Security for keeping the peace on conviction), Section 107 (Security for keeping the peace in other cases), Section 108 (Security for good behaviour from persons disseminating seditious matters), Section 109 (Security for good behaviour from suspected persons), and Section 110 (Security for good behaviour from habitual offenders), contain provisions for obtaining such security / bond from the person concerned for keeping peace or for good behaviour for a period of one year or three years, as the case may be.

This is a preventive type of action and not a punitive action for any offence. No FIR is registered in respect of such proceedings.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Improper investigation u/s 156(3) by police and judge dismissing the application
Who takes cognizance of a non-cognizable offence in a rural village or town?
How to compromise a case of assault on police (353) and non-obedience of order?
How can I obtain copies of Case Diary from police of investigation done in FIR?