Want to practice in Supreme Court as Advocate ON Record, how to pass?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Others Want to practice in Supreme Court as Advocate ON Record, how to pass?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I joined practice in Agra last year (2016 August). Since Delhi is quite close to my place and I have interest in Constitution law, I want to practice in Supreme Court. I have been told that I will have to pass examination for Advocate On Record. How can I do it and how can I pass the advocate on record exam?

In this regard, please note that an advocate with less than one year’s practice cannot argue a case in the Supreme Court, but he can mention a case for seeking date, time or adjournment, etc.

Any other advocate with more than one year’s practice (irrespective of in which state he or she is enrolled as advocate) can appear before the Supreme Court and argue a case.

However, only an advocate on record can file Vakalatnama in the Supreme Court on behalf of a client. An advocate who is not an advocate on record, cannot file vakalatnama on behalf of a client, but he can argue the case on instructions from an advocate on record.

For becoming an advocate on record in the Supreme Court:

• You will have to undergo training under an approved advocate on record for a period of one year. But, you can register for such training only after completing 4 years’ practice.
      • After such training, you will have to pass the advocate on record examination conducted by the Supreme Court.
      • You will have to have an office in Delhi within 16 km from Supreme Court.
      • You will have to employ a registered clerk after becoming AOR.

For more details on this, please read the Supreme Court Rules, 2013, which are available online on SC website.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Others’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Dairy case no.4766/2020 filed on dated 5-2-2020 in SC, remarks shows defective matter
Do Benefit of court order limited to the concerned person
Riyaz Ahmad Sheikh vs State Jammu Kashmir (diary no 1269/2020)
Civil matter related case query.