Want to file additional evidence in appeal in civil case

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Civil Law Want to file additional evidence in appeal in civil case

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I lost my civil suit in the court and have now filed an appeal before the appellate court. I want to file additional evidence during appeal stage since some evidence was not given in the lower court due to my lawyer’s mistake. Can I do it now?

Filing of additional evidence in the appellate court during appeal stage is permissible in certain situations. The relevant provisions in this regard are contained in Order 41 Rule 27 of the CPC, which is reproduced as under:

27. Production of additional evidence in Appellate Court.— (1) The parties to an appeal shall not be entitled to produce additional evidence, whether oral or documentary, in the Appellate Court. But if—

(a) the Court from whose decree the appeal is preferred has refused to admit evidence which ought to have been admitted, or

(aa) the party seeking to produce additional evidence, establishes that notwithstanding the exercise of due diligence, such evidence was not within his knowledge or could not, after the exercise of due diligence, be produced by him at the time when the decree appealed against was passed, or

(b) the Appellate Court requires any document to be produced or any witness to be examined to enable it to pronounce judgment, or for any other substantial cause,

the Appellate Court may allow such evidence or document to be produced or witness to be examined.

(2) Whenever additional evidence is allowed to be produced by an Appellate Court, the Court shall record the reason for its admission.”

So, additional evidence can be submitted during appeal subject to the above provisions.

In a recent case, namely, A. Andisamy Chettiar v. A. Subburaj Chettiar, (2015) 17 SCC 713, the Supreme Court held as under:

“From the opening words of sub-rule (1) of Rule 27, quoted above, it is clear that the parties are not entitled to produce additional evidence whether oral or documentary in the appellate court, but for the three situations mentioned above. The parties are not allowed to fill the lacunae at the appellate stage. It is against the spirit of the Code to allow a party to adduce additional evidence without fulfilment of either of the three conditions mentioned in Rule 27.”

Accordingly, you’ll have to see whether the additional evidence sought to be produced by you in the appellate court satisfies these conditions.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Civil Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Where can appeal be filed in a compoundable summons trial case?
Limitation for appeal in High Court against acquittal of accused by Sessions Court?
Where to appeal against acquittal of accused in cheque bounce case?
Court Consent decree - appeal after long delay for wrong name of father