Vote not delated inspite of my request

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Civil Law Vote not delated inspite of my request

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      VK Mittal

I was a voter at Ahmedabad. I surrendered the vote along with ID along with application to local authority in Sept 2014 and obtained a receipt.
      Based on the receipt I enrolled my self as voter in Haryana.
      Now I am told that my name from Ahmedabad voter list has not been struck off.

Am I guilty of having two votes

I have replied to this issue in detail on an earlier occasion, and the answer to that question may be seen at the following link: http://tilakmarg.com/answers/is-it-an-offence-to-have-two-voter-ids-for-election-in-india/.

In your case, you have mentioned that you had already surrendered your voter ID and made an application to the concerned authority in Ahmedabad and obtained receipt for surrender of your voter ID. You have also mentioned that you enrolled again as a voter in Haryana only on the basis of this receipt for cancellation of your previous voter registration. In this situation, it is not your fault if the authorities concerned did not delete your name as a voter in Ahmedabad. In my opinion, it cannot be an offence. Nonetheless, to be on the safer side, you may write to the concerned authorities in Ahmedabad again, reminding them to delete your name as a voter, by enclosing therewith details of the receipt given to you earlier (and, also enclosing copy of receipt, if available).

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Civil Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.