under section 125 CRPC for maintenance of minor son

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law under section 125 CRPC for maintenance of minor son

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

My wife left house on June 2015

I filed conjugal Right case within six months december 2015 and got positive order from family court vadodara in August 2017.
      Meanwhile I filed son custody case in family court july 2016 and notice issued in August 2016.
      After getting notice of custody of minor son case she filed domestic violence case and maintenance of minor son under 125 after more than one year .
      My question is that she is eligible for maintenance of minor after one year filling case and I having conjugal order

Legally speaking, she may be entitled to seek maintenance for the minor son who is living with her, even after filing of son’s custody case by you. However, it is up to the court whether or not to order maintenance, depending on the facts of the case.

For example, please note that a Proviso to Section 125(3) of the Criminal Procedure Code provides as under:

“Provided further that if such person offers to maintain his wife on condition of her living with him, and she refuses to live with him, such Magistrate may consider any grounds of refusal stated by her, and may make an order under this section notwithstanding such offer, if he is satisfied that there is just ground for so doing.”

This shows that the Magistrate can order maintenance in favour of the wife even if the wife refuses to live with her husband provided he is satisfied that she has a just ground for so doing. In your case, the maintenance is for the minor son, which may be on a better footing perhaps as there appears to be no such restrictive provision for such maintenance.

However, as I mentioned above, ultimately it is for the Magistrate to decide whether it is just to order maintenance for the minor son in the given facts and circumstances of the case.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Section 23 of maintenance and senior citizen act 2007
Remedy for elderly parents if their child abandoned them
Does court of JMFC have unlimited power in relation to maintenance allowance?
False 498a ,506 cases on NRIs with Indian passport