Trial in corruption case stayed by high court, should I approach supreme court?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Trial in corruption case stayed by high court, should I approach supreme court?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

On my complaint the anti-corruption bureau caught red handed a government servant taking bribe from me. The ACB has filed charge sheet in court and it is pending in Special Court for framing of charge. Meanwhile accused approached high court citing some defect (perhaps in sanction but I am not sure) and the high court has stayed trial till next date which is after 2 months. Can this order of high court be challenged in Supreme Court?

Clauses (b) and (c) of Section 19(3) of the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988, are reproduced below:

“(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974),—

(b) no court shall stay the proceedings under this Act on the ground of any error, omission or irregularity in the sanction granted by the authority, unless it is satisfied that such error, omission or irregularity has resulted in a failure of justice;

(c) no court shall stay the proceedings under this Act on any other ground and no court shall exercise the powers of revision in relation to any interlocutory order passed in any inquiry, trial, appeal or other proceedings.”

It can thus be seen that the proceedings in a corruption case cannot be stayed either or the ground of any defect, etc., in the sanction order [clause (b)] or on any other ground [clause (c)].

In fact, in the case of Satya Narayan Sharma v. State of Rajasthan, (2001) 8 SCC 607 : AIR 2001 SC 2856, the Supreme Court has also held that the proceedings in a case under Prevention of Corruption Act cannot be stayed.

Accordingly, this order of the high court, of staying the trial, can be challenged in the Supreme Court. It is advisable and preferable that the Anti-Corruption Bureau should challenge this order, instead of you doing it is the complainant.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

FIR, charge, sanction under S. 13(1)(d) of PC Act but conviction under 13(1)(c)
Taking household expenses at one-third of income in disproportionate assets case
Section of Prevention of Corruption Act to book person giving bribe to employee?
Can Prevention of Corruption Act case be filed against retired public servant?