TIME FRAME FOR CHEQUE BOUNCE

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law TIME FRAME FOR CHEQUE BOUNCE

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      adarsh js

Sir

I have presented the cheque issued by a builder to the bank and same got dishonored due to insufficient fund. The memo is of the date 28 Apr 17.

Now i want to sent a notice. Once i asked one advocate he told me notice to be send within 15 days of receipt of memo. The other advocate suggested me to send notice within one month.

Please clarify as there is a contradiction, whether it is one month or 15 days.

The payee must make a demand for the payment by giving a notice in writing, to the drawer of the cheque, within 30 days of the receipt of information by him from the bank regarding the return of the cheque as unpaid.

For detailed explanation of Section 138 of Negotiable Instruments Act, read this article: http://tilakmarg.com/answers/cheque-bounce-cases-under-section-138-of-negotiable-instruments-act-explained/     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.