Section 82 and 83 CRPC-defective proclamation-wrong court name

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Section 82 and 83 CRPC-defective proclamation-wrong court name

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Respected Sir
      In a matter related to 138 NI act, i typed III special magistrate court as
      111 special magistrate court while issuing paper publication in a local vernacular daily through courts order. Sir the accused is well aware of the court proceedings and recently jumped bail in the same III special magistrate court thereby, 82 CRPC was issued for publication.
      1. Whether typing 111 special magistrate leads to defective proclamation in courts view?
      2. Can section 537 CRPC save me?
      Would AIR 1963 SC 1120 be of any help?

3. Sir any citation or reference which i can cite before the magistrate?

Sir i am advocate practicing in hyderabad. sir please reply.VERY URGENT.
      THANK YOU,

There is no Section 537 in Cr.P.C. Perhaps, you have referred to Section 537 of the old Cr.P.C. of 1898, which corresponds to Section 465 of the current Cr.P.C. of 1973.

What you have mentioned is basically a typographical error and not a substantial error of law or fact. As you have mentioned, the accused is already on bail from the same court and has now jumped bail, so he is well aware of the court in which the case is pending and by which court the proclamation is being issued. Usually, such error should not be considered to be a fatal error.

Section 465 Cr.P.C. lays down that an error, omission or irregularity in the complaint, summons, warrant, proclamation, order, judgment or other proceedings before or during trial or in any inquiry or other proceedings under the Code, or any error, or irregularity in any sanction for the prosecution, shall not be fatal unless in the opinion of that Court, a failure of justice has in fact been occasioned thereby.

In view of these reasons, I am of the opinion that such a typographical error in the description of the court should not vitiate the proceedings, when the accused very well understands in which court the proceedings have been initiated and when there is hardly any scope for failure of justice having been occasioned. If the accused had been completely misled genuinely by a defective order due to which he could not take relevant steps for his defence, then, perhaps, it would have been a different matter altogether.

In any case, if possible, you may still issue a corrigendum in the publication or issue a fresh publication of the proclamation so as not to leave any doubt.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

respected sir in continuation of the query dated 7 february,2018 i have already
      issued paper publication dated 10-01-2018 and the next date for the accused to
      appear in pursuance of the paper publication dated 10-01-2018 is
      14-02-2018.sir,upon the court issuing order for paper publication under section 82(1) CRPC, it was my mistake that i typed and filed process in the court as 111 special magistrate in place of III special magistrate.also the court section without verifying the same issued me the process signed and sealed.sir i cannot in my view give one more paper publication or corrigendum in the same paper as there will be no compliance of 30 days time and publication will become defective.sir please advise.sir any useful reference(section of law) or citation or authority.
      thank you,
      yours obediently.

If it is not possible to issue a corrigendum, then leave it to the court. If necessary and if permitted by court, you may try to get a fresh proclamation order.

But, as I mentioned in my previous reply, such a typographical error, and that too in the circumstances mentioned in your question when accused is aware about the court where proceedings are going on, may not be fatal.

Rest you can leave it to the court and act as per orders of the court, if any.

I had tried to find any judgment on this specific issue, but there appeared to be none. The relevant section I have already quoted.   

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

respected sir thank you very much for your valuable advise.satisfactory answer and i am satisfied.
      thank you very much sir,thank you.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Improper investigation u/s 156(3) by police and judge dismissing the application
Who takes cognizance of a non-cognizable offence in a rural village or town?
How to compromise a case of assault on police (353) and non-obedience of order?
How can I obtain copies of Case Diary from police of investigation done in FIR?