Section 337 Motor vehicles Act

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Section 337 Motor vehicles Act

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Sir , i am an Inspector in Central Tax department .Near a flyover i met with an accident with a police bike as i was trying to overtake them from right hand side they leaned towars my side and our handles got touched , they lost balance , since he was carrying lot of files and fell down , bikes were at normal speed and he got his leg finger broken and i got minor bruises , now they filed Fir under section 337 , what should i do it was just an accident , mistake of perception . Should i also file an Fir. Guide me please.

From the description given by you, it appears that it was a contributory act from both sides. So, you can also lodge the FIR under Section 279, 337 IPC. Otherwise, it would appear as if it was a negligent act only from your side.

Also please note that if the opposite party has got his finger fractured, then it may also be an offence under Section 338 IPC, which is more severe offence than Section 337 IPC.

You can try to obtain CCTV footage, if any available, to buttress your version of the accident. Also try to get other evidence collected, such eye-witness accounts of passers-by at the time of the accident. This may help you if police refuse to register your FIR and if you have to file a private complaint directly in court.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Thank You Sir , very helpful advise , Sir shall i file online FIR as he has filed an Fir under section 337 and is ready for compromise, which mighy be asking money . what can be best possible measure. He has already filed FIR Shall i also file , do i have to file it within 24 hrs . Thanking You Sir

and he is not giving me copy of FIR , is it not my legal right

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Suicide, Abetment and Attempt to Suicide
what is equivalent of innocence till proven guilty mandate/dictum in india?
sign on blank 50rs stamp paper in 2013
No call details record of complainant in the FIR/ charge sheet