Second marriage without divorce in the first marriage

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law Second marriage without divorce in the first marriage

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I am having a live-in relationship with a man who is already married to some other woman. As far as I am concerned, I am unmarried so far. That man has already filed a divorce case against his wife, but this case is now pending for about 3 years. His wife is very adamant that she will not consent for divorce and will not allow him luxury of divorce. Though the advocate would not tell us, we have come to know that the divorce case and the appeal may take many more years to come to an end, and thereafter also it is not sure whether it will be a divorce ultimately or not.

In these circumstances, I want to know can I marry this person now itself during the pendency of his divorce case in court? As I told earlier, this will be his second marriage but my first marriage. Will it have any serious legal problems?

From your name (as seen from your email), you appear to be a Hindu. So presuming that the man with whom you want to get married is also a Hindu, let me point out that a second marriage is not possible for that man till the first marriage continues to be legally valid. Unless the first marriage comes to an end (either by way of a divorce or by being declared as null and void or by an unfortunate demise of the spouse), he cannot have a second marriage with another person. Second marriage for him during the lifetime of the first wife would be punishable as bigamy under Section 494 of the IPC, which is considered as a serious offence, since the punishment is up to 7 years’ imprisonment.

Of course, you would not be committing any offence if you marry him since it would be your first marriage. But, for him, this marriage would be the second marriage while the first marriage is still legally valid and it will be during the lifetime of the first wife; thereby making him liable to punishment under Section 494 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

Section 494 of the IPC is as under:

494. Marrying again during lifetime of husband or wife.—Whoever, having a husband or wife living, marries in any case in which such marriage is void by reason of its taking place during the life of such husband or wife, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine.

Exception.—This section does not extend to any person whose marriage with such husband or wife has been declared void by a Court of competent jurisdiction,

nor to any person who contracts a marriage during the life of a former husband or wife, if such husband or wife, at the time of the subsequent marriage, shall have been continually absent from such person for the space of seven years, and shall not have been heard of by such person as being alive within that time provided the person contracting such subsequent marriage shall, before such marriage takes place, inform the person with whom such marriage is contracted of the real state of facts so far as the same are within his or her knowledge.”

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Family Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Suicide, Abetment and Attempt to Suicide
what is equivalent of innocence till proven guilty mandate/dictum in india?
sign on blank 50rs stamp paper in 2013
No call details record of complainant in the FIR/ charge sheet