sec 420 n sec 406 Crpc – protest petition after police says civil matter

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law sec 420 n sec 406 Crpc – protest petition after police says civil matter

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

respwcted sir in a partnership fraud case when in my father’s sole propriotership firm ,my uncle became 50 % partner without any investment,Police filed FR citing the case to be of Civil nature.We filed protest petition.Now what should we say to judge who says that she wont allow file to be taken outside the court.Should we go further investigation through police whose officers have colluded with accused.What is the judge trying to say.Should we record statement before the judge.?Please guide me about CRpc sections in this case.

With regard to your statement “judge who says that she wont allow file to be taken outside the court”, you have to ask the Magistrate or your advocate what was meant by this and in what context the above statement was made by the Magistrate.

When a closure report is filed by police in a criminal case, there are basically three options before the Magistrate:

• Accept the police report and close the case.
      • Ask the police for further investigation.
      • Reject the police report and directly take cognizance of the case and proceed with trial.

Depending on facts of the case, at the time of your filing and arguing your protest petition, you’ve to take a call whether you want to request for further investigation or you want the court to proceed with the trial if you can convince the Magistrate to reject the police report. You can also get the case converted into a private complaint case in which situation you will have to conduct the prosecution yourself (of course, you can engage a private advocate for this purpose).

This is your decision, in consultation with your local lawyer who would have seen the detailed papers of the case. In the absence of having seen the detailed papers, it is not possible for me to give any advice on this specific issue. But, I have outlined the options broadly, which are available to you.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Improper investigation u/s 156(3) by police and judge dismissing the application
Who takes cognizance of a non-cognizable offence in a rural village or town?
How to compromise a case of assault on police (353) and non-obedience of order?
How can I obtain copies of Case Diary from police of investigation done in FIR?