sanction for prosecution if needed during dismissal but dismissal order set aside later

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law sanction for prosecution if needed during dismissal but dismissal order set aside later

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

When a Supdt. Central Excise was dismissed but in appeal dismissal was set aside and after 2 years he was treated to be continued in service but in the middle in DA case Trial Court had taken cognizance saying that on the day of taking cognizance Supdt. was not in service and hence, no sanction is required. Trial ended and 3 yrs. conviction imposed and case is pending in High Court. Sir, Kindly guide me whether Sanction was needed or not? During entire trial no sanction was demanded from the Deptt.

The question raised by you involves complicated questions of law which have not been the subject matter of a decided case, as far as I remember. Being the author of a 2250 page book on Prevention of Corruption Act [Prevention of Corruption Act, Second Edition (2009), appx. 2250 pages, published by LexisNexis Butterworths Wadhwa, New Delhi (ISBN: 978-81-8038-592-6)], I have not seen any such judgment on this issue.

There are two rival contentions in your case:

• Provision of Section 19(3)(a) as per which, “…no finding, sentence or order passed by a Special Judge shall be reversed or altered by a Court in appeal, confirmation or revision on the ground of the absence of, or any error, omission or irregularity in, the sanction required under sub-section (1), unless in the opinion of that court, a failure of justice has in fact been occasioned thereby”.
      • The fact that you have been continued to be in service, after your dismissal order was set aside.

By considering the overall circumstances, I feel that prosecution in such a case was not valid in the absence of the sanction order, though it is ultimately for the court to take the call. You may have to carefully draft your arguments to show that the prosecution without sanction in such case was not valid.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

FIR, charge, sanction under S. 13(1)(d) of PC Act but conviction under 13(1)(c)
Taking household expenses at one-third of income in disproportionate assets case
Section of Prevention of Corruption Act to book person giving bribe to employee?
Can Prevention of Corruption Act case be filed against retired public servant?