Requirements for general power of attorney

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Others Requirements for general power of attorney

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

If I give a general power of attorney in favour of another person who is my relative, is it necessary that it should have signatures etc of both of us? What are the main requirements of a general power of attorney?

Of course, the donor of the power of attorney must put his signature on the power of attorney document. In addition, it may even have to be registered before the Sub-Registrar (which means also signatures of two witnesses) if it relates to power being given to sell any immovable property and also in certain other situations where the POA is for a transaction which is required to be registered. This is as per the requirements of Section 33 of the Registration Act. Further, the donor of the POA must be a person of sound mind and should be competent to enter into a contract, i.e., he should be an adult, etc.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Others’ is closed to new Questions and replies.