Remedy against police misbehaviour and torture

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Remedy against police misbehaviour and torture

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

In a cheating complaint given against me by a person, the police took me to police station. Police misbehaved me, used third degree treatment and tortured me. What is my best remedy to take action against these police officials? Important – police has not registered FIR so far but they are pressuring me to pay amount to opposite party.

The police has no such legal power to use third-degree or torture against any person either before or after registration of the FIR. There is no power to misbehave with people. Such misbehaviour and torture may amount to offences under various sections of IPC.

You may give a formal complaint to the senior officers of police (such as Superintendent of Police of the district, or DCP of the city, as the case may be) about such misbehaviour. If needed, you may also file a complaint in the court along with medical certificate, if any.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Difference between the logo of Mumbai Police and Maharashtra Police
Police not filing charge sheet
Regarding right to privacy of accused during investigation, once FIR registered,
FIR or Magistrate - what is preferable when I have sufficient evidence