Regarding suspension and my service

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Regarding suspension and my service

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hello Sir,

I was selected as an IRS officer in 2014 but an fir u/s 493,494,498a,376 was lodged against me following which i was arrested on 14/4/2014 and later was released on bail on 19/5/2014.I have been placed under deemed suspension since then.Sir there are many lacunas in the prosecutrix case still i am at the suffering end.My suspension has been extended till 7/1/2017, the order which i received from my office was that the suspension review committee recommended revocation of my suspension but disciplinary committee thought the other way round and extended my suspension on the view that charges was not framed,but now charges have also been framed.I am not getting any way what to do Kindly help me out

Thanks and regards

The relevant rule in the Central Civil Services (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules, 1965, is not clear whether the recommendation of the review committee is binding on the disciplinary authority for continuing or revoking the suspension. But, in any case, at least, the disciplinary authority is required to give reasons if such authority does not act in accordance with the recommendation of the review committee and takes a contrary decision.

Further, there are Government instructions that if the officer has been under suspension for one year without any charges being filed in a court of law, he shall ordinarily be reinstated in service without prejudice to the case against him.  But, it is also in the instructions that, however, in case the officer is in police/judicial custody or is accused of a serious crime or a matter  involving national security, the Review Committee may recommend the continuation of the suspension of the official concerned.

But, in your case, the review committee has recommended revocation of the suspension to which the disciplinary authority has not agreed.

In these circumstances, you may consider approaching the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) against the order of continuation of suspension, and try your luck.

At the same time, you may have to fight the regular criminal case against you since one of the sections applied against you relates to rape which is a serious offence. If you feel that the criminal case against you is weak, you may challenge the framing of charges or otherwise try to get the trial concluded expeditiously.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.