regarding post dated cheque signed under threat/dueress

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law regarding post dated cheque signed under threat/dueress

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      rohit jain

HELLO SIR ,
      I PRESENTLY HAVE BEEN ACCUSED OF INDIAN PENAL CODE 498 ( DOWRY AND CRUELTY ) BY WIFE . I WAS PUT INTO POLICE CUSTODY , WHEN DUE TO FEAR MY DAD WAS HARRASED AND THREATENED OF THE CONSEQUENCES FOR WHICH MY IN LAW DEMANDED 1 CRORE INDIAN RUPEES . DUE TO FEAR AND ME IN POLICE CUSTODY , MY DAD HAS GIVEN 5 POST DATED CHEQUE FOR THE SAME . NOW THEY HAVE NOT YET TAKEN THE CASE BACK AS WELL AS DID NOT FOLLOW NY OF THE DEED OF SETTLEMENT SIGNED .
      WE HAVE STOP PAYMENT THE CHEQUE .
      HOW SHOULD WE PREVENT MORE LAW SUITS ON US BY THEM REGARDING CHEQUE STOP PAYMENT .
      THE CHEQUE WAS SIGNED UNDER THREAT , GUN POINT AND DUERESS.
      THE DOWRY CASE IS ALL FALSE .
      I AM ON BAIL NOW.
      PLEASE HELP ME SIR.
      THE CHEQUES ARE POST DATED FOR MAY 2017
      REGARDS

One of the important condition to make out a case of cheque bouncing under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act is that the cheque should have been issued for the discharge, in whole or in part, of any debt or other liability.

In your facts, while it is not fully clear as to whether you have entered into any MOU as per which you have agreed to pay the cheque amount as a consideration of withdrawal of the case against you. If that is the case, then PERHAPS it may be considered as a liability.

Otherwise, if the cheque has been taken under duress, threat or gun point, as you have mentioned, then the cheque may not be for discharging any debt or liability. In such a situation, the cheque bouncing case may not be proved even if the cheque bounces. However, you’ll have to defend the case and prove this point, since there is a presumption under law under Section 139 that the cheque was issue for discharge of such debt or liability. So, the burden will be on you to prove that there was no debt or liability and that the cheque was given under threat, duress or gun point.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Family Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.