Refund of Legal Fees from advocate on prorata basis

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Property Law Refund of Legal Fees from advocate on prorata basis

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Sir, Can I succeed in getting prorated refund as the issues have just been framed and yet a long way remains? The Adv is constantly insulting me and proceeding with the matter on his own hurting my prospects of winning.I have paid him a hefty fees upfront. He has delegated the responsibility to his inept and probably corrupt junior advocate who has been working for him for a long time but is yet not sharp!
      The Senior Adv whom I paid the fees to has become an utter nuisance to talk to on the phone and he never responds via email. The dates are forthcoming within weeks so I am being bullied to give in.Please advise.Thanks.

It is between you and your advocate as to how the professional fee was to be paid, including the fact as to whether the upfront fee paid included fee for the full case. If you are not satisfied with his services, you may first try to sort out the matter amicably by discussing with him; if he does not agree and you have a claim against him, you may make a complaint to the State Bar Council concerned, including the aspect of the refund of fee. If you do not get a solution even after this, then your only option would be to file a regular proceeding in court to recover the extra fee paid, if any. But, then, for this, you may have to prove the fee schedule and how the fee paid upfront was to be utilized, etc. It may also be a long-drawn process.

While I cannot comment on the facts of your case as to whether you would succeed in getting refund of your fee, generally speaking, it may not be an easy task. It would be better if you can amicably settle the matter with him.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Property Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Cheque bounce - want to fight own case by discontinuing advocate
Inaction by Chief Judicial Magistrate for forcing to engage lawyer
Can an arrested person be enrolled as Advocate in U.P. Bar Council
For starting law firm of partners, is it necessary that both partners be lawyers