Private witness

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Dear Sir,

What are private witness in cases by state? Please help understand with example.

Thank you.
      Govind

As far as I understand, “private witness” is not defined in law anywhere. This is not an expression of law, as per my little understanding of law.

There are prosecution witnesses and there are defence witnesses.

Please ask the person who has coined this expression “private witness.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Dear Sir,

Following is the daily order in which i came across the term “private witness”:

One PW namely Anil is present and examined. Bailable
      warrant issued to PW Sunita, LASI Amit received back unserved. Bailable
      warrant issued to remaining PWs not received back either served or unserved.
      Heard. Now, to come upon 21.01.2017 for prosecution evidence. Let private
      witnesses
      be summoned through bailable warrant in the sum of Rs. 5000/- with
      one surety in the like amount for the date fixed. Warrants be sent through SP
      concerned.

Please help me understand the meaning of Private Witness in above.

Thank you.
      Govind

If it is your case, you can even get to know the names of these “private witnesses” from the court. Why are you so concerned with the nomenclature? From what you have mentioned, they may be prosecution witnesses. May be that they may be private persons (as against some witnesses who may be Government servants). But, if they are being called to depose on behalf of the prosecution, you may simply consider them as prosecution witnesses, though the court may have used a different nomenclature.      

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.