Precaution to be taken in SC, case disposed of in High Court

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Civil Law Precaution to be taken in SC, case disposed of in High Court

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

My case has been disposed of by the High Court. It has been decided in my favour. I have a feeling that my opposite party will approach the Supreme Court to obtain stay against the High Court order. What precautions can I take to avoid this? Will the Supreme Court issue notice to me before granting stay?

If you feel that the opposite party is likely to approach the Supreme Court by way of filing SLP (Special Leave Petition), you may file a caveat in the Supreme Court. Under the SC Rules, it has been provided that where a caveat has been lodged, notice of the hearing of the petition (SLP) filed by the opposite party shall be given to the caveator. In the absence of a caveat, petition for grant of special leave (SLP) is put up for hearing ex-parte, but the Court, if it thinks fit, may direct issue of notice to the respondent and adjourn the hearing of the petition.

Thus, if you file the caveat, you’ll be informed about he hearing of the case in advance by the Supreme Court and you’ll get an opportunity of opposing the grant of leave or interim relief or stay, if any, without filing any written objections.

If you so wish, you can also file your objections within 30 days from the date of receipt of notice or not later than 2 weeks before the date appointed for hearing, whichever is earlier, but you can do so only by setting out the grounds in opposition to the questions of law or grounds set out in the SLP and may produce such pleadings and documents filed before the Court/Tribunal against whose order the SLP is filed and may also set out the grounds for not granting interim order or for vacating interim order if already granted.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Civil Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Dairy case no.4766/2020 filed on dated 5-2-2020 in SC, remarks shows defective matter
Do Benefit of court order limited to the concerned person
Riyaz Ahmad Sheikh vs State Jammu Kashmir (diary no 1269/2020)
Civil matter related case query.