Police not uploading FIRs on website despite Supreme Court orders

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Police not uploading FIRs on website despite Supreme Court orders

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

Sir, I was recently a victim of a car accident in which a SUV Car had rammed into me while i was riding a scooter. I went to file the FIR against the said person. After much persuasion and requests did the police entertain this FIR and gave me an FIR number. Someone told me that the Supreme Court had made it mandatory for the police to upload all the FIR online within 24 hours. However, the Jodhpur police and the rajasthan police have not complied with this direction, and they are not giving me a hard copy nor can i get a copy of the same online. I have even written to the Commissioner and DGP about the Supreme Court judgment, but none of them have replied. Kindly guide me what action can be taken against the responsible police officers at the Police Station and the Commissioner of Police, Jodhpur and DGP Rajasthan who are flouting a Supreme Court judgment. Thank you sir.

It is true that the Supreme Court has made it mandatory for the police to upload all FIRs on its website within 24 hours, barring some sensitive cases, in the directions issued in the case of Youth Bar Assn. of India v. Union of India, (2016) 9 SCC 473 : AIR 2016 SC 4136, the main extracts of which are as under:

“The copies of the FIRs, unless the offence is sensitive in nature, like sexual offences, offences pertaining to insurgency, terrorism and of that category, offences under the Pocso Act and such other offences, should be uploaded on the police website, and if there is no such website, on the official website of the State Government, within twenty-four hours of the registration of the first information report so that the accused or any person connected with the same can download the FIR and file appropriate application before the court as per law for redressal of his grievances. It may be clarified here that in case there is connectivity problems due to geographical location or there is some other unavoidable difficulty, the time can be extended up to forty-eight hours. The said 48 hours can be extended maximum up to 72 hours and it is only relatable to connectivity problems due to geographical location.”

“The directions for uploading of FIR in the website of all the States shall be given effect from 15-11-2016.”

Now, if some state police forces are not complying with these directions, then it is contempt of the court. It may first be desirable to request the concerned police authorities to comply with the above orders, in case they are not aware about them, and thereafter a contempt petition may be filed against them to ensure their compliance.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Difference between the logo of Mumbai Police and Maharashtra Police
Police not filing charge sheet
Regarding right to privacy of accused during investigation, once FIR registered,
FIR or Magistrate - what is preferable when I have sufficient evidence