Police Do Not Know What Cognizable Offences Are

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Police Do Not Know What Cognizable Offences Are

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hi Sir – I came across a peculiar situation. A couple of days back I rang up my concerned police station. Someone picked up my call. He did not know English as well. I told him that a cognizable offence has occurred for which I asked him the procedure to register FIR. To my utter shock, that guy did not know the meaning of cognizable offence. He said police registers FIR for murder, rape etc. He was not even able to understand my questions asked in English. I don’t know who he was. May be some inspector or constable. What sort of people do we have in our police department.That guy only knew 1 language and I don’t know that language. This is more of my observation than a question.

This forum is for asking questions relating to law. It is not for passing value judgements against any particular individual or category of persons. One. Fails to understand why police officers cannot speak a language other than English. Please do not misuse this forum for expressing such views instead of asking questions relating to law.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.