PC Act 1988 – acquittal in S. 7 but conviction in S. 13(2) read with 13(1)(d)

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law PC Act 1988 – acquittal in S. 7 but conviction in S. 13(2) read with 13(1)(d)

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

My appeal is pending in cg high court….i am aquital in section in (7) but i m convicted in section 13(1)d and 13(2),,,…..as per law this is possible or not….

Yes, legally it is possible that a person is convicted under Section 13(2) read with 13(1)(d) of the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988, but is acquitted under Section 7 thereof in the same case.

Generally, in a trap case of bribery against a public servant, both Section 7 and Section 13(1)(d) are applied. Both these offences are similar, but they are not the same. Their ingredients are different. Therefore, in certain cases, it may be legally possible that offence under one of these two legal provisions is proved, but there is no evidence to prove the second offence. Accordingly, acquittal under one section and conviction under the other is possible under law. It depends on facts of the individual case.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

FIR, charge, sanction under S. 13(1)(d) of PC Act but conviction under 13(1)(c)
Taking household expenses at one-third of income in disproportionate assets case
Section of Prevention of Corruption Act to book person giving bribe to employee?
Can Prevention of Corruption Act case be filed against retired public servant?