Passport if one has general diary entries by police against him but not crimes

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Others Passport if one has general diary entries by police against him but not crimes

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

If no crime is registered against a person in the court or police, but there are some general diary entries mentioned in police station (which is not FIR), then will passport be issued to such person?

Your question specifically mentions that no criminal case has been registered against the person and that only some General Diary entries have been made in the police station. Though it is not clarified in your question what those General Diary entries are, I presume that these are not in connection with commission of an offence and that no criminal case is pending in a court. If this is the actual scenario that the passport may generally be issued to such person and it should not be refused merely on this ground (i.e., of GD entries).

You may also see my detailed reply in another similar question (Can a person get passport during pendency of criminal case?), wherein I have mentioned in detail on what grounds a passport may be denied. Two of these grounds are:

“(f) that proceedings in respect of an offence alleged to have been committed by the applicant are pending before a criminal court in India;

(g) that a warrant or summons for the appearance, or a warrant for the arrest, of the applicant has been issued by a court under any law for the time being in force or that an order prohibiting the departure from India of the applicant has been made by any such court;”

But, from the facts mentioned by you, it appears that these grounds are not applicable in your situation. Therefore, merely because some General Diary entries are made in a police station (which are not connected to commission of an offence), the issuance of passport may not be denied to the person concerned.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Others’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

FIR with IPC 337
I want to apply passport, being an accused, case is under hearing and not started
Passport - can two passports be held legally in India?
grant of NOC for passport for Govt employee facing disciplinary proceedings