Original sale deed lost, can I give photocopy in evidence in court?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Civil Law Original sale deed lost, can I give photocopy in evidence in court?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

During the hearing of a civil suit, I am required to file the original sale deed in respect of a property. However, the original sale deed has been lost. But, I have a photocopy of this sale deed which is notarised also. Can I produce this document in the court as evidence or there is any issue with such evidence?

Photocopy of an original document is a “secondary evidence” of the document. Since you have mentioned that the original document (which is the “primary evidence”) has been lost, you are permitted to file the photocopy of the document as secondary evidence, as per the provisions of clause (c) of Section 65 of the Evidence Act. However, first you’ll have to adduce evidence to show that the original document has been lost.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Civil Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

What can be done and what cannot be in a cross-examination?
Can a mobile phone screenshot be accepted as legal evidence in a case in India?
THE INDIAN EVIDENCE ACT - 2st Question
No call details record of complainant in the FIR/ charge sheet