Notice for illegal construction received from Municipal Coporation

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Property Law Notice for illegal construction received from Municipal Coporation

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I have received a notice from the municipal corporation for illegal construction. I am doing some repairing work on my house. What should I do?

It is not clear from your question as to what is the nature of the repair work undertaken by you to your house. Does it require approval of the plan from the municipal authorities or it is of such a small or inconsequential nature that no such prior approval is necessary? Going about the fact that you have received a notice from the municipal authorities for illegal construction, it appears that the repair work may be of a nature that requires prior approval for the construction / repair plan from the authorities. Or, may be that the original construction itself is considered as illegal by them.

It would be advisable for you to first get the construction plan sanctioned by the municipal corporation authorities. Reply to whatever queries they have in this regard. Ensure that you do not construct beyond the permissible limits under the law / rules, and beyond the approval sanctioned plan. If you have already done construction which the authorities consider as illegal, try to explore the possibility of getting it regularized by paying penalty and/or other legal charges. Otherwise, you may convince the authorities that the construction is not illegal and is permissible under relevant laws. If needed, you may have to approach the court for getting stay on the potential action to be taken by the municipal authorities, including a potential demolition of the construction which they are calling illegal.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Property Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.